Loaded Potato Bites

by Chelsey Lindahl on January 29, 2012

Contrary to popular opinion, being gluten-free and vegetarian/vegan does not mean that the age of enjoying ones food is over. A few weeks back, I was suffering from a case of “I want comfort food in my belly now” syndrome. Being that I am a relatively new vegetarian and gluten-free I had to get a wee bit creative.

The fireman and I were enjoying a movie night at home and I knew that popcorn just was not going to cut it. Therefore we stopped by the grocery store and did some hustling. As we left, we weren’t truly aware of the pleasure on a plate we had concocted.  I now present to you, the totally vegan and gluten-free Loaded Potato Bite. “Get in my belly!!”

Loaded Potato Bites

• 1-2 Russet Potatoes
  • Daiya Cheddar Shredded Cheese (or other vegan cheese)
  • Diced Jalapeno
  • Diced chives
  • Paprika
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Clean and slice russet potatoes.  Lay out on greased cookies sheet.  Lightly sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of pepper and 2 tsp of paprika.  Bake for 10 minutes.   Remove from oven and turn over.  Top with sliced jalepenos, chives and cheddar cheese.  Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

The jalapeno does not make these cheesy, savory potato bites overly spicy, but instead exudes a deliciously warm flavor.  I highly recommend them as a snack, appetizer or even as grub for the upcoming Super Bowl Sunday.  Vegans, gluten-free peeps, and carnivores alike will love them!

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

personal trainer weybridge January 31, 2012 at 3:41 am

these look great but are they healthy ? how many calories would 1 have ?

Chelsey Lindahl January 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thank you so much for your comment! These are absolutely a healthy snack. I know that potato’s often get a bad rap, but vegetables are always a great choice, especially when looking at a vegan alternative to a typically calorie laden food (i.e. traditional potato boats covered with cheese and bacon). When eaten with the skin on potato’s are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and manganese. I would recommend that each potato provide two servings, this would provide 234 calories per serving. I hope this answers your question. Thanks again! :)

Sarah February 8, 2012 at 6:36 am

Oh my gosh, these can get in my belly right now! These are such a great idea and I’m already thinking up loads of different toppings that you could use. Yum!

Chelsey Lindahl February 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thank Sarah! These are a fun treat. If you try any great toppings I’d love to know what they are!

Naiya September 10, 2012 at 6:04 am

Very nice and mouth watering recipe, Really very nice idea for stomach filling recipe with healthy method.

MyTravelFitness.com September 24, 2012 at 3:46 am

wow, great idea, in that case a snack with no guilt and lots of good stuff!